Rounds of showers and storms continue to develop. Some of these could be strong and put down very heavy rainfall. Watch for local high water issues.
A winter storm will bring snow and wind to the region overnight into Saturday. This will have a major impact for all of central and eastern Kentucky.
Here's a breakdown of what I expect:
- Snow moves in from the northwest tonight. It will be snowing everywhere by daybreak.
– With a frozen ground… it won’ t take long for roads to become snow covered and dangerous.
- Winds will gust to 35-40mph at times and this will create near blizzard conditions at times.
- I do NOT recommend traveling late tonight into the first half of Saturday. This is the type of setup that can cause traffic nightmares and even brief road closures.
- Snowfall totals will range from 1"-6" depending on where you live across the region. The highest amounts may be across the Lexington metro and points north.
- It should be noted that it won’t really matter if you get 1″ or 6″ of snow… the impact to travel will be similar.
- This will be followed up by ANOTHER below zero night!
WKYT will provide team coverage through Saturday.