UPDATED: A cause has been discovered in the fire that happened early this morning near Seventh Street and Magoffin Street.
Lexington Fire Department tells us that the fire was caused by a motor in an upright freezer.
The fire has been ruled accidental.
LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Several fire crews were on the scene of a house fire in Lexington's East End early this morning. The fire was near Seventh Street and Magoffin Street.
The woman who lived in the home made it out safely and escaped to the nearby home of some family members. She told us that she heard a strange noise after turning on some lights, and moments after, noticed fire near the kitchen area.
"I went back in the kitchen, and as I do, I glanced over to the door that leads to the back part of the building, which it's two separate places. And i could see light behind that door, which I knew shouldn't be there. Then I could smell smoke," said Lavada Ashcraft, who lived in the home.
The fire quickly spread, ripping through the first floor and moving into the attic. That provided added difficulty for firefighters.
Lexington Battalion Chief Jeff Nantz described the harrowing situation to WKYT's Sean Evans. "Well, you're working above your head. There's always a possibility of a collapse. It's kind of a timing thing, you've got to keep in mind how long the fire's been burning in the attic, and base that on how long it takes them to get access to it and get water on it."
Viewers with disabilities can get assistance accessing this station's FCC Public Inspection File by contacting the station with the information listed below. Questions or concerns relating to the accessibility of the FCC's online public file system should be directed to the FCC at 888-225-5322, 888-835-5322 (TTY), or email@example.com.