WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News, Weather, Sports

Coroner: Ohio student died from caffeine overdose

LAGRANGE, Ohio (AP) - A northern Ohio coroner says a high school senior found dead a week before graduation died from a caffeine overdose.

An autopsy found that Logan Stiner had a lethal amount of caffeine in his system when he died at home on May 27.

The 18-year-old was a senior at Keystone High School in LaGrange, southwest of Cleveland.

The Lorain County Coroner says Stiner had more than 70 micrograms of caffeine per milliliter of blood in his system.

The coroner says most energy drinks have three to 15 micrograms of caffeine.

Stiner's mother tells the newspaper that she found bags of caffeine powder in their house on the day he died. The coroner says powder caused Stiner to have a cardiac arrhythmia and a seizure.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 265111461 - wkyt.com/a?a=265111461
Gray Television, Inc.