Georgetown crews fight early morning house fire

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (WKYT) - Georgetown Fire officials fought a large house fire on North Hamilton Street early Wednesday.

The emergency call came in just after 4 a.m. Flames shot through the roof before firefighters could get the fire under control.

The man who lived there was at work and found out about it on his lunch break.

"I'm devastated, lost everything we got in there," said Shawn Gilbert.

Gilbert had only been in the home a few weeks. The owner of the home still had some possessions inside.

"Lost a lot of memories from when I was a kid," said Ronald McKenney

Fire crews battled the flames and the freezing temperatures. Salt had to be thrown on the sidewalks to melt the ice.

With the damage spread throughout the home Gilbert says he's not holding out hope when it comes to his belongings.

"Our clothes, everything else is a total loss due to the water damage and smoke damage," he said.

Investigators say they believe the fire was accidental and could have started near an extension cord.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus