The triple digit temperatures played a role in a fire that ripped through a Central Kentucky home Thursday.
Neighbors on Albany Lane in Winchester told WKYT they heard an explosion a little before 4 p.m. Thursday, and then saw smoke and flames barreling out of the roof of a home. In a matter of minutes, a fire gutted the house.
Firefighters believe four bags of mulch ignited in the heat, and caused the house fire.
"The mulch is always rotting and it's in the bag, in a plastic bag, it keeps moisture in the bag and when it gets hot it will, it can eventually spontaneously ignite," noted Battalion Chief Ernest Barnes, "especially if you have four bags together like that. It just raises the temperature."
Chief Barnes is asking homeowners to be extra careful when the weather gets hot and dry.
"If you're bringing home mulch, you should not bring home any more than you plan to use immediately. Go ahead and put it all out. If you have to store it, don't keep it stored out where it can lay out in the sun, keep it in the shade, and you probably shouldn't keep it piled with all the bags in one big pile like that."
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply