Extension cord shorts, starts fire that destroys Mercer County home

MERCER COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) -- Fire crews returned to a house fire that reignited, after the first fire this morning left a family homeless.

For the second time in one day, they watched as their house burned. The fire first broke out early in the morning around 5:00 AM at the home off Bushtown Road in Mercer County.

The fire rekindled around 10:00 AM. WKYT's Melissa Etezadi spoke to one of the homeowner's sons, who told her that his mother was home alone with their seven dogs when the fire started, and she suddenly saw flames shooting up the side of her house.

Firefighters believe that it was caused by a short in an extension cord used for heat lamps to keep the dogs warm outside.

Both sons, who live at the residence, described for us how their mother quickly opened the back door hoping the dogs would run out.

The family was too shaken up to talk to us on camera, but they did tell us of the seven dogs, only one, a white jack russell terrier, is missing.

Fire crews say they plan to stay on scene until the fire is contained.
They say the home is a loss.

The family is getting help from Red Cross and has insurance. No one was hurt in the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 200613511 - wkyt.com/a?a=200613511
Gray Television, Inc.