NICHOLASVILLE, Ky., (WKYT) Steve Kohlman says he woke up to feel the heat and see flames ripping through his Nicholasville home Sunday morning.
"I shed some tears trying to pull myself together and I kept finding myself in tears seeing everything go up in flames,” said Kohlman.
He says he rushed to get his 8 year old and 6 year old daughters out of the house.
"It's hard to process when you see your house up in flames and you're really helpless, certainly a devastating feeling," he said.
The Nicholasville Fire Chief believes an electrical fire sparked the flames about 4 o'clock Sunday morning. He says it will probably be several days before they know what can be saved from the severely damaged home.
One area of the house they can’t save – the garage.
"The whole garage is a total loss and all the stuff we've been refinishing," Kohlman said.
He worked out of his garage repurposing furniture, giving all the profits to a mission in Haiti.
WKYT's Amber Philpott was just in Kohlman's garage Monday highlighting his business called Repurposed Soul.
Even though the projects that he worked on for months are now up in smoke, he isn’t letting the tragedy dampen his spirits.
"The Lord will take care of us," he said.
He says the same God they trust during the good times will also see them through this very difficult time.
“We'll move on and the Lord will carry us through," said Kohlman.
Kohlman says the community has been stepping up to help, he says the mayor of Nicholasville called and offered to give them place to stay.
He also says their church family at Southland Christian Church will be bringing them some meals.
However, they do need clothes.
Kohlman says if you have donations, such as gift cards, they can be dropped off at the home where they are staying, which is at 100 Bernie Trial in Nicholasville.