Family saved by smoke detectors installed by firefighters

MT. STERLING, Ky. (WKYT) - Firefighters say that if it hadn't been for smoke detectors two people who escaped a burning home might not have made it out alive, but those smoke detectors wouldn't have been in the home if it weren't for firefighters.

The fire started around 2 a.m. Wednesday morning at a mobile home on Old Owingsville Road.

"When we arrived we found about 25 percent of the trailer was burning," said Captain Tom Smith with the Montgomery County Fire Department.

The two people who lived in the home told firefighters their smoke alarm woke them, they saw the fire spreading, and ran.

"In a mobile home a fire spreads so quickly that they might not have had a chance to smell smoke and get out," Smith said.

During the investigation into the fire, firefighters realized they had been to that home before.

"Wasn't until about a day later that we realized the fire department was actually the ones that installed those smoke detectors," Smith said.

Smith says they had targeted the mobile home park two years ago.

"We actually went door to door in that neighborhood offering to put up smoke detectors and this happened to be one of the mobile homes that we did install in."

The program relies on donations from local businesses and allows the fire department to not only give out smoke detectors, but also to install them in people's homes.

"It's a great feeling for us and it really validates that program," Smith said. "We always tell people how important smoke detectors are."

Smith says firefighters believe the fire started with a malfunctioning heater.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus