Fire destroys 3 Jackson Co. businesses, injures firefighter

By  | 

MCKEE, Ky. (WKYT) - A fire destroyed three businesses and injured a firefighter in Jackson County Friday afternoon.

Outside one of the gutted shops on Main Street in McKee, a heap of charred wood and twisted metal is piled waist high around a barber shop chair that is hardly recognizable.

The chair is more than a century old. It was valued at $12,000 but it was worth far more than that to Joey Harrison.

"It's something you can't replace. We're still feeling a little numb," he said.

Harrison says he ran a barber shop and his wife ran a flower store on Main Street.

Fire chief Donnie Gabbard tells WKYT the two businesses and a nearby tire shop disappeared in smoke and flames around 5:30 p.m. Friday.

He says several firefighters suffered from heat exhaustion and one was rushed to the hospital after a part of the ceiling fell on her shoulder.

"I think the shoulder is mostly bruised it, at least that's what I'm hoping," said Gabbard.

He believes the fire started inside the barber shop but he says he is still trying to figure out what sparked the flames.

"This was our livelihood. This is what brings the food home and puts it on the table," Harrison said.

Harrison tells WKYT he doesn't know how they're going to provide for their two young children, but he says they still have each other so at least they're able to stick it out together.

"We'll just take what we have and do the best we can," he said.

Harrison estimates the fire caused tens of thousands of dollars in damage.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus