WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News, Weather, Sports

Fire marshal issues warning about silent killer

FRANKFORT, Ky. (AP) - Fire Marshal William Swope is warning Kentuckians to beware of carbon monoxide buildup now that cool temperatures are forcing them to heat their homes and cars again.

Swope calls the odorless, colorless gas the "silent killer." It's produced by fuels like natural gas, propane, oil, wood, coal and gasoline.

In particular, Swope said people need to understand that vehicles and generators left running in attached garages can produce dangerous levels of carbon monoxide. He urged Kentuckians to install carbon monoxide alarms in their homes.

Symptoms of overexposure include shortness of breath, nausea, dizziness, lightheadedness or headaches. Swope also warned that high levels of carbon monoxide can be fatal within minutes.

(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 232037451 - wkyt.com/a?a=232037451