Firefighters reminding folks of carbon monoxide dangers

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - As people look for ways to stay warm, firefighters want to remind you of the dangers of carbon monoxide.

Lexington firefighters say so far today, they've had three carbon monoxide-related runs, which resulted in four people being taken to hospitals. One of those runs was at a home on Landsdowne Drive. Firefighters say anyone using an alternate heating source in their homes should know the symptoms of carbon monoxide poisoning.

"You might feel dizzy, lightheaded, obviously you need to pay attention to those symptoms. If you feel that way, and feel like you may be exposed to the carbon monoxide, you need to call 911 or go to your local hospital for treatment," Kyle Branham, with the Lexington Fire Department tells us.

Firefighters say if you're using fireplaces, make sure they are well vented. They also say if you're using something such as a space heater, don't put it near anything combustible, and use it in a well-vented area.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 238965181 - wkyt.com/a?a=238965181
Gray Television, Inc.