Crews rushed to the scene of a house fire on Dillingham Lane in Jessamine County Saturday afternoon, and moments after putting the fire out, they spoke to the person they say is responsible.
"A 9-year-old kid lit the firework and threw it on the front porch," Chief Michael Rupard, of the Jessamine County Fire Department told 27 NEWSFIRST.
But it wasn't the dry conditions that caused the flames to destroy one room in the house and spread to the attic.
"Unfortunatley, it landed next to a gallon gas can and caught the can on fire, which set the house on fire," said Rupard.
Crews worked dillegently to make sure the fire didn't spread. The 9-year-old boy and his family in disbelief by what had happened.
"Everybody is thankful that nobody got hurt. Upset they lost quite a lot," said Rupard.
While the family tries to figure out what to do next, extra fire crews cycled on scene to make sure firefighters got frequent breaks in the unbearable heat.
"Guys are staying hydrated well. Been hydrating all day long. Temperatures in this suit are hot!"
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply