LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - No one was hurt in a fire at Courtside Apartments, and that's because of one good samaritan who was able to alert everyone in the building.
The fire blocked off Dalton Court in Lexington for several hours keeping people out of their homes as Lexington police investigated.
Although fire officials are not saying what caused this fire, they say they are confident it started on a mattress in apartment 8 on the second floor.
One man, who is visiting his brother at the apartment complex, says he saw the man who lives in that apartment leaving the building slamming the door behind him and that's when he noticed smoke.
"And I said, 'Man, ya'll smell that?' and I looked out the window and it was just black smoke rolling from the silver vent out his back window," said Sean Bixler, a man visiting the complex.
Bixler says he then jumped into action knocking on doors and says he even helped some of the older tenants get out safely.
"If my family was asleep, they could have died back there because their bedroom is right over top of his," said Bixler.
Fire officials tell us the damage is contained to the one apartment where the fire started not affecting any other apartments.
Right now they are not saying whether it was arson.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply