Injured Lexington restaurant owner returns to work

By  | 

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Mamadou Savane was badly burned in a kitchen accident nearly two months ago, he returned to work this week.

Savane owns Sav's Grill and Sav's Chill on South Limestone.

On June 3, he slipped and fell in the kitchen, accidentally spilling 20 gallons of boiling peanut sauce on himself. He suffered burns on half of his body.

"I'm doing good. I have a long way to go. It's coming along," said Savane.

He was recovering at home, before his wife suggested he try to go back to work.

His injuries won't let him cook right now, or lift anything heavy. He only spends a couple of hours at the restaurant, helping with the cash register and greeting customers.

It's been nearly two months since the accident. That time was made up of doctor visits for Savane, and fundraiser, after fundraiser by the community. More than $67,000 were raised to help pay for medical bills.

"I'm not originally from here but I can proudly say that I'm from Lexington," Savane said. "The only thing I can say is thanks, Lexington."

Savane hopes to be back full-time at the restaurant in three weeks, but that depends on doctor's orders.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus