A line of strong to severe storms will race across central and eastern Kentucky over the next several hours.
LAS VEGAS (AP) - The Miss America pageant has gotten under way in Las Vegas, and judges have cut down the field of contestants from 53 to 16.
Titleholders from all 50 states plus the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands took the stage to vie for the title Saturday night at the Planet Hollywood Resort and Casino on the Las Vegas Strip.
The show is the culmination of a week of preliminary competitions and months of preparations.
The remaining contenders include the fan-voted selection of Miss Montana Alexis Wineman, the first competitor with autism, and Miss Iowa Mariah Cary, who has Tourette's syndrome.
Also, remaining are:
- Miss South Carolina Ali Rogers
- Miss Texas DaNae Couch
- Miss Utah Kara Arnold
- Miss Oklahoma Alicia Clifton
- Miss Wyoming Lexie Madden
- Miss Tennessee Chandler Lawson
- Miss Alabama Anna Laura Bryan
- Miss Maryland Joanna Guy
- Miss Illinois, Megan Ervin
- Miss Indiana MerrieBeth Cox
- Miss New York Mallory Hagan
- Miss Florida Laura McKeeman
- Miss Kentucky Jessica Casebolt
- Miss Washington state Mandy Schendel
The competition winner will receive a $50,000 scholarship and is expected to embark on a yearlong speaking tour to advocate for her chosen cause and raise money for the Children's Miracle Network, the pageant's official charity.
(Copyright 2013 The Associated Press. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.)