Lexington crews fight fire in freezing weather

There was a scare at a Lexington apartment building Wednesday afternoon after a fire started in one of the units.

Firefighters put the flames out before any serious damage happened but they faced a challenge from the weather as they were getting the fire out.

The young woman who lived in the apartment said it started as a grease fire, and after she couldn't put it out she grabbed her dog and ran to a neighboring apartment to call 911.

Firefighters had the fire under control within minutes, but they still had to take their time because of the freezing temperatures.

They say one of the biggest challenges during the winter is making sure the water they're spraying doesn't lead to a dangerous surface for emergency workers.

"There's a lot of things you have to take into consideration, also the ice on the road, water freezing, have to be really cautious," said Major Daniel Bellot with Lexington Fire.

The damage was contained to one apartment. The other people living in the building were able to return home.

Waller Avenue was closed for several hours while the firefighters were on the scene.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus