General showers will be the main action over the next few hours. A few could remain on the strong to severe side in eastern parts of Kentucky.
WOODFORD COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - A man charged in a crash that killed a five-year-old boy went in front of a judge for the first time Monday afternoon.
Alfonso Diaz-Diaz entered a not guilty plea during his arraignment in Woodford District Court. Diaz-Diaz is charged with manslaughter, assault and DUI.
Police say he drove the wrong way on U.S. 60 earlier this month and slammed head-on into a family's car.
Five-year-old Blake Cohorn, of Lexington, died in that crash. Cohorn's father was also seriously injured.
"He knows about the death of the child and he is very upset about it. He is distressed. Every time I have spoke with him, he has been in tears over it so. Not for himself but for the other people. It's not like he's not showing any remorse. He has showed remorse from day one," says defense attorney, Brian Darling.
Diaz-Diaz is still recovering from injuries he received in the crash, he appeared in court in a wheelchair.
"He's in a lot of pain still and being in jail, it's not a place where you get a lot of pain killers," says Brian Darling, Attorney for Diaz-Diaz.
After the hearing, we learned from Darling that his client is an undocumented immigrant which he explains is why Diaz-Diaz doesn't have a license, "That's one of the problems that all immigrants have is some people are here for 50-20 years and can't get a license."
His bond is set at $250,000. His attorney told us he plans to ask for the bond to be reduced, the prosecution told us they plan to ask the judge to increase the bond.
"There's some conflicting stories in all three press releases and official charges. So that we'll have to get into as the case develops," adds Darling.
Diaz-Diaz will be back in court on May 6 for a preliminary hearing.