Woman who died after being unresponsive at Lexington strip club identified

By  | 

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Family of Melissa Kline-Smiley tell us they are in the process of making arrangements through Bluegrass Mortuary Services on Pasadena Drive in Lexington.
They are accepting donations to help with the funeral costs. The account is under Melissa Kline-Smiley's name.

--------previous story--------

37-year-old Melissa Kline-Smiley died just before 7:30 last night at UK hospital. Today, coroner Gary Ginn says they're still trying to figure out exactly what caused her death.

An affidavit in court records claims Clyde Sexton was working on a painting job with Kline-Smiley at Fillies Gentleman's Club when she collapsed. According to that affidavit, he told police that wasn't uncommon due to a medical condition.

"There's just a lot of different avenues we're looking at in a broad spectrum in this case because it is fairly complicated," said Ginn.

Sexton is charged with sexual abuse in the case. In the affidavit, police say surveillance video shows Sexton moving Kline-Smiley, then lying down with her while she's unconscious. They say about 23 minutes pass from when Kline-Smiley is first seen unconscious until when Sexton tells another employee that she's having trouble.

"Fire department, the way they respond, they usually respond within a manner of two or three minutes at the most, she could have had help. I don't know if that would have saved her life. I can't predict that and I'm not going to try, but obviously someone would have been there to help her," Ginn said.

Examiners did an autopsy today, but it could be a couple of weeks before they officially determine Kline-Smiley's cause of death.

"We do believe that the toxicology will play a big role in her death. We also want to look at tissue under the microscope. It takes a little bit of time for it to be processed so we can get them under cover slips and look at them microscopically," said Ginn.

Sexton was scheduled to appear in court Tuesday morning on that sexual abuse charge. That hearing was continued until August 20.

-------Previous Story---------

A woman who was sexually assaulted after being found unresponsive at a Lexington strip club has died.

The Fayette County Corner identified the woman as 37-year-old Melissa Kline-Smiley.

Police arrested Clyde Wesley Sexton, 71, last week after they say he took advantage of Kline-Smiley after she passed out inside Fillies Gentleman's Club on July 25.

According to the Fayette County coroner the woman died Monday night. Her cause of death is pending toxicology and further investigation.

A hearing scheduled for this morning for Sexton has been postponed until August 20th.

-----Previous Story-----

A Lexington man is in jail Friday afternoon accused of sexually abusing an unconscious coworker.

Instead of calling 911, Lexington police say Clyde Wesley Sexton, 71, took advantage of the woman after she passed out inside Fillies Gentleman's Club on Thursday evening.

On Friday, officials were back on scene investigating. Police tell us that victim is in critical condition at UK Hospital following the assault.

Lexington police tell us surveillance video explicitly shows Sexton performing sexual acts on his coworker. Police aren't saying much because of the nature of this case but did tell us the victim is a 37-year-old woman who works with Sexton at the strip club.

Before six p.m. on Thursday evening is when police say the woman fainted because of a serious preexisting medical condition. That's when Sexton allegedly took advantage of her while she was unconscious. We are told paramedics were not called until she had been passed out for about 30 minutes, and she had no pulse once they arrived.

WKYT's Jerrika Insco tried going to Fillies Gentleman's Club to speak with someone about the incident, but no one ever came to the door. We still are not sure what positions Sexton and this woman had at that strip club. We do know the club was closed at the time of the assault.

We are not releasing the name of this victim, but we have talked to the woman's family who have confirmed for us that she is on life support at UK Hospital with family by her side.

Sexton is lodged in the Lexington-Fayette County Detention Center on a $5,000 full cash bond.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus