Man dies inside garage, investigators blame carbon monoxide

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - His family returned home and found him dead in the garage. Firefighters say it's likely carbon monoxide killed the Lexington man.

The man was found dead late Monday afternoon at a home on Fort Harrods Drive, off Harrodsburg Road.

Family told investigators on scene they came home and heard his truck running inside the garage. Moments later, they found him unresponsive. The coroner, who was at the home on Fort Harrods Drive, is now leaning toward carbon monoxide poisoning as the cause of death.

"Carbon monoxide is colorless, odorless, tasteless. So you don't know it's there. It doesn't take long to overcome you," explains Lieutenant Keith Smith with the Lexington Fire Department. Lt. Smith says - if inhaled in large quantities - carbon monoxide can kill in as little as two or three minutes.

"You can get nausea, headaches with the lower levels."

Firefighters tell WKYT the number of calls they get involving carbon monoxide go up as the temperatures go down.

"In the winter time you're using your furnace. You're using the hot water more," says Lt. Smith, "people do move inside and close doors to work on cars. Everything sort of moves inside because of the cooler temperatures."

Lieutenant Smith recommends putting carbon monoxide detectors in your home if you use gas appliances, and keeping garages well ventilated.

A deputy coroner with the Fayette County Coroner's Office tells WKYT they are waiting for full toxicology results before they say for sure carbon monoxide killed the man.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus