Arrest report details new information in death of Lexington man

By  | 

LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - A man wanted in a Lexington murder, who was captured in Texas, was brought back to Lexington Tuesday evening.

WKYT spoke with officials at the Hildalgo County, Texas jail Tuesday morning.

They confirm that deputies with the Fayette County Sheriff's Office picked up Robert Markham Taylor early Tuesday morning. Police in Texas captured Taylor back in January, shortly after Lexington Police charged him with murder.

Police at Blue Grass Airport say Taylor's flight landed in Louisville late Tuesday afternoon. He's now been booked in the Fayette County Detention Center.

WKYT obtained the arrest citation from Fayette County for Mark Taylor that reveals new details on some of the events leading up to the murder of Alex Johnson.

According to the citation, Johnson was on the phone with his girlfriend on December 20th when she heard a knock at his door. She says she then heard Johnson answer the door and heard a voice she immediately identified as Mark Taylor say "come downstairs, I've got a surprise for you."

The citation then states that Johnson said to his girlfriend, "Mark is here, I'll call you later." She states this was the last time she heard from Alex Johnson.

During the course of the investigation, detectives were able to piece Mark Taylor and Timothy Ballard together on December 20th. Both men told police they were at Trust bar in downtown Lexington, however detectives say surveillance video from the bar shows that the two men did not arrive at the bar until around 11:40p.m.

The citation details a police interview with Ballard on January 20th, where Ballard admitted to detectives that he helped lure Johnson into their vehicle before they attacked and restrained him. It says Ballard then told detectives he watched Taylor beat Johnson to death with some type of foreign object.

After the murder detectives say Ballard disposed of Johnson's body, while Taylor cleaned the vehicle used in the crime.

The citation does not give details about any motive Taylor may have had in the attack.

Lexington firefighters found Johnson's body in the Kentucky River on January 24th.

Taylor is scheduled to be arraigned sometime Wednesday afternoon.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus