Overnight fire claims home and two pets in Bourbon County

By  | 

BOURBON COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - A Bourbon County couple are without a home this morning after an overnight fire.

Fire crews were called to the scene on Harman Street around 3:30am Sunday morning.

"Woke up around 3:30. I heard screaming. Ran out and seen the flames," Tammy Wallace, the couple's next door neighbor described.

Tammy Wallace called 911 and gathered her children and got out of her home. She says that's when she saw her neighbors, Mille Helphenstein and Anthony Barnett, watching the home the rent burn.

"Him holding her back; she was trying to run in and get her puppies."

Wallace says the couple lost two beloved dogs. A third was able to escape. She says everyone in town knows the couple who are both employees at Papa Johns. She says Helphenstein has been a delivery driver for close to two decades. She says as the home next door burned, concern grew for her own.

"Fire Department got here real quick; if they had been a minute later, probably both homes on either side would be lost," Wallace said.

Batt. Chief Michael Duffy of the Paris Fire Department said "They did a real good job especially with the structures being so close together. Just a few feet between them."

Investigators are not sure what started the fire, but a the homeowner's son reported that it could have been electrical.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus