Parents of mother disgusted by CPS allegations

By  | 

GEORGETOWN, Ky. (WKYT) - It's a Texas case that has ties right here in the Bluegrass. A mother arrested after police say her neglect of her three children lead to the death of one and the severe medical conditions of two others.

Today, a twist in the case as police in Abilene, Texas now say the Child Protective Services office may have tampered with evidence in the case against Tiffany Klapheke.

"Right now, we are investigating the specific occurrences associated with the Klapheke investigation, of which we became concerned with in the hours following this child's death," stated Police Chief Stan Standridge.

Police also stated in the press conference that records requested for the Klapheke case were never delivered until a district attorney made a follow up request from a district attorney. Even more, investigators believe the records were incomplete and maybe even tampered with.

Abilene police also said that the case is not with case workers, but with several CPS supervisors who police say may have told employees not to cooperate with the police investigation.

Chief Standridge also said this may not be the only case, "At this point, it's too early to say how long this may have been occurring."

The Houston Chronicle newspaper also reported that CPS closed the case without making a final home visit to Klapheke. The case was reportedly closed just six days before 22-month-old Tamryn died.

"To find out that six days earlier, someone could've gone out there and Tamryn would still be alive is just devastating to me," said Tina Romano, Klapheke's adopted mother.

Romano says she was aware her daughter was having trouble and even made a referral to CPS, herself.

"I believe 100% that had they gone out there, that Tiffany's issues and the children not being cared for would have been obvious."

The Romanos also say that CPS didn't make a visit in nearly a year's time to check on their daughter and grandchildren.

"They just need to do their jobs. Don't be incompetent about it just do what you're supposed to do," stated Scott Romano, Klapheke's step-father.

For this Georgetown couple, the two months since Klapheke's arrest have been hard and this wrinkle in the case only re-opens the wounds.

"It's day-to-day that we struggle with missing our granddaughter and worrying about our other granddaughters," explained Scott Romano, who said the two other girls are doing well and still in foster care.

Police say they have not made any arrests at this time, and the investigation is ongoing.

Parents of Abilene mother disgusted by CPS allegation.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus