WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News, Weather, Sports

Pentagon: Benghazi suspect in U.S. custody

WASHINGTON (AP) - A Libyan militant who is suspected in the Benghazi attack is now in U.S. custody.

That announcement from the Pentagon marks the first time the U.S. has apprehended one of the people who allegedly carried out that attack -- which killed U.S. Ambassador Christopher Stevens and three other Americans.

The Pentagon says the U.S. military, in cooperation with law enforcement personnel, captured Ahmed Abu Khattala on Sunday. Officials say there were no civilian casualties related to the operation, and that all of the Americans involved have safely left Libya.

Abu Khattala is currently being held in an undisclosed location. He is a senior leader of the Benghazi branch of the terror group Ansar al-Sharia.

Last year, the U.S. filed charges against Khattala and a number of others in a sealed complaint filed in federal court in Washington.

The Obama administration has come under intense criticism from Republicans for failing to apprehend those responsible for the attack.

Meanwhile, President Barack Obama says the captured Libyan militant suspected of killing Americans in Benghazi will face the full weight of the American justice system.

Obama says his capture is a testament to the painstaking efforts of U.S. security officials. He says the U.S. has demonstrated it will do whatever it takes to bring justice to those who harm Americans.

Obama says in a statement that the U.S. will continue to track down those responsible for the attacks. He says the U.S. must support the Libyan people as they work to build a democracy.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 263526011 - wkyt.com/a?a=263526011
Gray Television, Inc.