"He was our baby, just like our kids. And now he's laying over there," said Heather Lail as she pointed to a grave at the edge of her yard.
The Lail family's dog, Scoobie, had been a part of their family for more than eight years. He was a Christmas present for their oldest daughter.
Like most pets, Scoobie got the occasional treat.
"Scoobie was given one treat the night before, and within twelve hours he was really sick. And within twenty four hours he was dead," said Heather's husband, Brandon.
The Lail's believe it was that treat, a chicken jerky produced in China, that caused Scoobie's death.
"We just want people to be aware of what's out there, and what the problem is and that there's a potential danger for their pets," said Brandon Lail.
Their words of caution, aren't the first for chicken jerky dog treats either.
"The common link among a lot of these cases is been they've had a history of eating certain jerky treats manufactured in china that have chicken as the main protein ingredient," said Ashley Keith, with Crossroads Veterinary Clinic in Versailles.
In December of 2008, the Food and Drug Administration issued a warning cautioning consumers of the potential danger of chicken jerky treats for dogs, imported from China. So far, the FDA has not recalled any of those products.
"While nobody can prove that there certainly seems to be enough plausible evidence that it's warranted investigation," said Keith.
"That potential danger is there, so beware," said Brandon Lail.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply