EUBANK,Ky (WKYT) - For the second time in a week a Kentucky man has been badly burned by a brush fire.
The most recent fire happened at a home on Whitford Lane just south of Eubank in Pulaski County.
Emergency crews air lifted 74-year-old Dexter Mobley to UK Hospital after he was burned by a fire he started that got out of control.
The ground behind Mobley's home is scorched. His neighbors knew something was wrong yesterday afternoon.
"Fire trucks were in the back of the yard, a helicopter came down, EMTs were here," said Mark Gammel who lives behind Mobley.
Firefighters say they believe Mobley was burning garbage in a barrel when the fire spread to the leaves on the ground.
As those leaves began to burn Mobley tried to move but fell. His daughter says he broke a hip earlier this year and has a hard time getting around.
A neighbor saw Mobley in trouble and came over to help, just in time. That neighbor said Mobley's pants had caught fire and he had to help pull them off, but the he was already badly burned.
The neighbor's wife put wet towels on Mobley's legs until EMTs arrived.
Mobley's daughter says if that neighbor hadn't helped, her father would have burned to death.
Mobley's dog, Bonnie, also suffered some burns to her paws after the fire spread to her pen.
Pulaski County Emergency Management officials say they want to remind people that a statewide burn ban is in effect within 100 feet of a wood line because of the dry conditions.
Last week there was a similar case in Rockcastle County where a man died while burning debris. He was taken to UK Hospital but the Fayette County Coroner's office told us 64-year-old Robert Childress died of smoke inhalation.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply