Escaped inmate recaptured after high-speed chase

CLARK COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) - An escaped inmate who overpowered a corrections officer is back in custody after a high speed chase.

The search for 37-year-old Fabian Valentine began around 11:30 a.m. after he escaped custody from a corrections officer at the rest area on eastbound I-64 just past Winchester.

The Clark County Sheriff tells us the corrections officer was transporting Valentine from Louisville to a facility in eastern Kentucky, when they stopped at the rest area.

People at the rest area saw Valentine being escorted into the bathroom.

"He was shackled at the wrist, shackled at the ankle," said Sheriff Burl Perdue.

But police say those shackles didn't stop valentine from attacking his guard, overpowering him, and taking his gun.

"The janitor inside had told me she heard the scuffle in the bathroom and saw him come out with the weapon so they went ahead and locked the doors as soon as he went out," said Sheriff Burl Perdue.

Regina Whisman says she was one of many people Valentine aimed the gun at.

"He had the gun up and he was just kind of waving it back and forth toward the rest area and then he saw us coming behind him," said Whisman.

The sheriff says after Valentine overpowered the corrections officer, he stole a mini-van from a couple at the rest area.

State police spotted a vehicle matching the description of the stolen van about an hour later on I-64 in Franklin County.

When troopers tried to stop the van, the driver took off. There are reports the chase reached speeds of 120 miles per hour.

Armando Arguetas was caught in the middle of the high speed chase.

"He didn't seem like he had any intention of pulling over so I thought that this was going to be a bad situation with the speeds that were involved," said Arguetas.

State police say during the 10 minute chase on I-64 they put out tire deflation devices twice but Valentine dodged them.

They say he didn't stop until mile marker 35 in Shelby County where he slammed into a trooper's car.

Arguetas says he was watching closely because his son was one of the officers trying to recapture Valentine.

"He was just in the trees you know, an escaped convict in his orange jumpsuit and they put him in a police car, situation contained," he said.

State police say amazingly no one was hurt.

State police are transporting Valentine back to Eastern Kentucky Correctional Complex in West Liberty, which is where he had served a year and a half of a seven year sentence.

Kentucky Corrections officials tell us Valentine was serving time for possession of a controlled substance and receiving stolen property.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station. powered by Disqus