Crews from several counties were called to help get control of an apartment fire Friday afternoon.
The fire was burning in downtown Carlisle, on North Locust Street. We're told it's a three-story building, and at least half a dozen units were destroyed. The roof on the building collapsed.
The building was built in 1903. The city was hoping to get the building on the historic registry.
"It's a shame. They say this guy just put a new roof on it. Now it's all completely gone," said Carlisle resident Janice Snapp.
Crews from at least Carlisle, Paris, Cynthiana and Lexington were on the scene.
Carlisle Fire Chief Jim Biddle told WKYT three people went to the hospital for smoke inhalation. Some firefighters were also being treated for heat related problems.
Chief Biddle said the fire started when one of the tenants was trying to get rid of bed bugs, and poured alcohol on her couch and then accidentally dropped her lit cigarette. Some tenants lost everything.
"Maybe some pictures in frames and stuff like that might not be completely destroyed, but I imagine if it burnt that whole building every thing's probably gone. But I won't know until I can get in there and see," remarked tenant Christus Johnson.
Just before 11 p.m. Friday, firefighters told us the fire was out. They plan to keep a unit on the scene overnight to keep an eye on the building.