MOREHEAD, Ky. (WKYT/WYMT) - We're told the family was having a gathering at their home just outside of Morehead on US 60 when a fire broke out. We had a chance to catch up with some of the family to get a first hand account of what they saw and heard when the fire started.
"We had heavy fire on all three levels on arrival," said Morehead Fire Chief Jeff Anderson.
Morehead Fire and a nearby volunteer fire station did what they could to quickly knock down the flames, but much of the home had already been destroyed.
"We just started seeing...it was white smoke at first. Then by the time my dad ran and got the basement key, it was too late. They had already kicked in the basement and there was black smoke everywhere," said Haly Harvey.
Harvey immediately jumped to action, and tried to evacuate who she could as her home burned.
"I feel lucky that we made it out alive. There was actually a guy that had just had open heart surgery in there, and I just kind of had to drag him out of there," Harvey said.
"They were using the second story fire places, and not checking the basement. And some storage material in the basement area, fire, ashes got into that area and looked like it may have started there," said Fire Chief Anderson.
Anderson says keeping materials clear of fireplaces and keeping chimney flues clear and clean can help prevent these fires from happening.
A family member tells us that the conditions on the inside of the home are completely unlivable because of the smoke and water damage to all sections of the house.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply