LEXINGTON/WINCHESTER, Ky. (WKYT) - The winter weather conditions made it difficult for fire crews at the scene of a house fire.
A home on Elam Village Drive caught fire around 1:30 Wednesday morning.
When the first firefighters arrived, the home was engulfed by flames. It is a total loss.
No one was inside. The homeowner says it was vacant. Gregg Elam, a retired firefighter, says that a family just moved out of the home. He was getting it ready for his son, who planned to move in the home soon.
One fire engine, trying to get to the home, ended up stuck off the side of the road. The truck had to be towed from the scene.
Several hours after that fire started, another sparked up at the Rod Hatfield pre-owned car lot on Lexington Road in Winchester.
Firefighters worked on it all throughout the morning to determine a cause and to make sure the hot spots were out.
We've learned through Winchester fire officials that they are considering this an electrical fire. They told us an air compressor hooked into a power supply of some kind caught fire in the garage area.
And without smoke detectors or a fire alarm inside, no one knew the buildings were on fire until flames were shooting out of the roof.
Emergency officials had to shut down the stretch of Lexington Avenue in front of the lot while they worked to put the fire out.
"We've obviously had the cold. We've had some hydrants that didn't work, so water supply was an issue. We worked with the water company in order to facilitate that," said Chief Eric Hunter with the Winchester Fire Department.
The Winchester fire chief said reinforcements had to be brought in from the Clark County Fire Department as well as Lexington to help cover their area while they battled that fire.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply