LEXINGTON, Ky. (WKYT) - Firefighters were able to quickly extinguish a house fire in Lexington early Thursday morning.
The fire started just before six a.m. in a duplex on Eureka Springs Drive.
The fire chief says a pot left on the stove caused the fire that heavily damaged one woman's kitchen.
The woman, Janie Jones, who lives there tells WKYT the smoke detector and her dogs saved her life.
She says she could barely breathe from all the smoke inside of her home which has significant smoke damage.
No one was injured in the fire, but officials say the tenant will not be allowed back into her home for a few days while repairs are made.
Her neighbors in the duplex were alerted and got out immediately as well.
Firefighters say this house fire is a classic example of how smoke detectors save lives. They are reminding everyone to change batteries in their smoke detectors twice a year.
Enter your number for a chance to win great prizes!
Message and data rates may apply