BEREA, Ky. (WKYT) - Police are investigating a bizarre incident at a Berea home that ended with one woman dying.
Both Kentucky State Police and Berea Police were called to a home on Verna Lane, early Friday morning, for a report of an unresponsive person. When they got there, they found two women unresponsive, along with two other adults and a 4-year-old child.
Authorities say they thought the two women may have been victims of carbon monoxide poisoning, but later realized that wasn't the case, since gas wasn't hooked up to the home. Both of the women were taken to St. Joseph's Hospital. One died. The other was treated and released.
Family members tell us the woman who died was 37-year-old Doris Amanda Meadows. She went by 'Mandy' and has four children. The other woman was her mother, Vickie McDaniel.
While at the home, police cited Wayne McDaniel for possession of marijuana, and also arrested Treva Perales on a warrant out of Rockcastle County.
The Madison County coroner says Meadows' death is likely drug-related.
Police say the four-year old girl that was inside the home has been placed with other family members.