Burglars strike business after fire

By: Cheryl Glassford Email
By: Cheryl Glassford Email

The owner of the Collection Box Flea Market in Mount Sterling spent the past weekend trying to cope with everything she's lost.

"Pretty much everything the vendors had," said owner Carmi Rockwell, "all my personal belongings, nothing was salvageable."

A fire destroyed the market last Thursday.

Rockwell says investigators have told her they suspect a space heater was to blame.

The top floor of the building was her apartment.

Now she says she has to deal with the fact that someone has stolen what little was left.

"When we realized the doors were open we walked down there to find the house tack and saddles had been missing," said Rockwell.

She believes the burglary happened some time this past Friday night, before they had a chance to board up the building after the fire.

"I just couldn't believe somebody would actually risk their life to go into a building that had already been burned," said Rockwell.

Rockwell had hoped to salvage some of the items she had for sale, and now even those last remaining possessions are gone.

Police are investigating the crime.

Meanwhile Rockwell is wondering how to start her business up again, after all this.

"It bothered me to realize they would go in and take someone's stuff that didn't belong to them, after someone already went through a fire," said Rockwell.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 20, 2011 at 11:30 AM
    Further investigation is needed, three days before the fire someone overheard the stated 'owner' say that she was tired of having no money and would fix the problem with $90,000 worth of insurance on the contents of the building that burned. Also, a storage space was rented near by one month prior to the fire where nealy all of the 'items for sale in the business' were stored! Another booth in a flea market in Madison County also was opened the same weekend, one month prior to the fire where quite a bit of her items were moved to.
  • by Anonymous on Jan 18, 2011 at 03:18 AM
    it's called stealing.
  • by tv on Jan 17, 2011 at 06:38 PM
    It happens all the time, but it's always saddening when good people fall victim to the trash that lives among us.
  • by judy Location: mt. sterling on Jan 17, 2011 at 03:00 PM
    someone thinks no one is watching but their father is watching.he will be their judge.they will be judged and punished in the end.


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 113953474 - wkyt.com/a?a=113953474
Gray Television, Inc.