CLARK COUNTY, Ky. (WKYT) -- Fire crews say a family is safe after an early morning house fire, thanks to smoke detectors and a fire safety plan.
The fire started around 4:30 on Thursday morning in a bathroom of a house on Trapp Goffs Corner Road, in southeastern Clark County, near the Powell County line.
Firefighters say the family, including several children, made it out of the home without injuries.
Officials say the home had working smoke detectors, which woke the family up in time to see the fire and get out of the house. They said the fact that the family was prepared ahead of time for an emergency may have saved their lives.
"He said his kids got up, they went straight to where they was supposed to go, the meeting spot," said Battalion Chief William Puckett with the Clark County Fire Department.
The children ran outside to a meeting spot that the family had previously agreed to. Firefighters say that this made their job much easier, because they knew that everyone was out.
They believe the fire started in a back bathroom. Firefighters got it under control soon after they arrived.
The house suffered smoke damage but the family will not be displaced for long and should be able to return to their home on Thursday or Friday.