WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News, Weather, Sports

Nitric acid causes fire inside a Bourbon County business


The strong and sometimes dangerous chemical known as nitric acid is what officials say caused a fire at a business in Bourbon County on Sunday.

MGN Online

PARIS, Ky. (WKYT) - The strong and sometimes dangerous chemical known as nitric acid is what officials say caused a fire at a business in Bourbon County on Sunday.

On Sunday, it took firefighters several hours to clean up the aftermath of a chemical fire that happened at Avantor Performance Materials on Martin Luther King Junior Boulevard in Paris.

It was just before 8:00 Sunday morning when a fire was reported in the manufacturing facility's warehouse area.

The plant's fire alarm system was set off and thankfully the fire was extinguished by the on-site sprinkler system.

At this time, employees tell us the fire was caused when a leaking container of nitric acid ignited inside of the case it was being stored in.

Nitric acid is just one of many potentially dangerous chemicals held at the plant which is why company officials say they are putting appropriate safeguards in place to prevent a similar incident from happening in the future.

Company leaders tell us that no employees were hurt in the fire.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 239829261 - wkyt.com/a?a=239829261