A Clay County elementary school cafeteria is scrubbed down after a meningitis scare.
A cook at Hacker Elementary School suddenly got sick last Thursday.
After two tests, the county health department confirmed it's only the viral form not the deadly bacterial version.
“I was scared but I have a job and I knew I had to come do it,” Charlene Hacker says after seeing how quickly her co-worker got sick last week...she was nervous about coming back to work after finding out it was viral meningitis.
Hacker says she wasn't too worried, because she knows the cleaning routines in the cafeteria.
“We wash those dishes, spray everything off of them, put them through the dishwasher and when we clean tables and all that stuff, we use Clorox to try to kill all the germs,” Hacker said.
Clay County's community health nursing supervisor, Linda Madden says viral meningitis is contagious, but it's not as easy to spread you may think.
“You do have to have direct contact with the person when they are ill,” Madden said.
Just to be safe, Clay County school officials scrubbed down the cafeteria and spread the word through local radio stations to let everyone know it's not the deadly bacterial form.
“We've checked with the health department and we feel like we've done all the steps necessary to ensure that we can stay in school,” Clay County Superintendent Doug Adams said.
Health officials say the symptoms are similar to the flu and quickly progress.
You may have an elevated fever, headache, stiffness of the neck, along with nausea and vomiting.
Health officials say prevention is all in good hygiene.
Wash your hands often and don't share drinks, food or even towels with someone who is sick.