Four people are dead including two children after a fire, but police say they do not suspect foul play.
The fire happened overnight in Estill County...
That's where a family of four died in a mobile home near Irvine.
State police say the fire was reported by a neighbor who saw the flames just before one o'clock Tuesday morning.
Eastern Kentucky fire officials say even though nobody knows the cause of the fire yet, this is a reminder of why families should take precautions in their homes during the cold winter months.
Even though Donnie and Judy Combs already have five smoke detectors they called the Hazard Fire Department to check out their home.
“Had soup beans on the stove today and it boiled a little bit and there come tons of smoke and it didn't even go off like that right there,” Donnie Combs said.
Fire fighters installed new smoke detectors with special batteries...
“It won't fit into a video game or other appliance,” Tim Caldwell said.
“What we recommend is putting smoke detectors right outside the bedroom door,” Caldwell said.
After securing the smoke detectors, Major Tim Caldwell checked for lurking fire hazards...like near the water heater.
In the same room, he said exhaust hoses on dryers should be changed every two years...while the lint trap should be checked with every load.
“That lint will catch on fire quickly and will burn quickly and before you know it, this dryer will be full of fire,” Major Caldwell said.
A couple more tips include changing your air filter every month and make sure there's always a clear path to your electrical box.
Overall, the Combs home is safe, but with an electric blanket on the couch Major Caldwell offered one last tip.
“Only use it to get warm and turn it off and don't put other blankets on top of it,” Major Caldwell said.
To have your home checked, you can call your local fire department and many of them will also install smoke detectors for you.