Cigarette Likely Sparked Deadly House Fire

Fire crews from two counties battled freezing temperatures and fierce flames Thursday night, but were unable to save a 66 year old man trapped inside a burning home.

Flames broke out at the home on Newtown Pike in Scott County, just across the Fayette County line, around 9:00pm. Firefighters from both Fayette and Scott Counties rushed to that scene.

Family members of the victim, Arthur Talbert, tell us other family members were able to rescue Talberts sister and mother from inside the home. Edna Jean, 74, and Lydia Talbert, 101, were in the kitchen area when the fire started. But, they say the smoke and flames were too intense to get to Talbert in an upstairs bedroom.

No foul play is suspected. The coroner says it appears Talbert was smoking in bed. He was pronounced dead at the scene. We're told O.L Funeral Home in Georgetown is handling the funeral arrangements.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Wow Location: Richmond on Feb 22, 2008 at 08:01 PM
    Im pretty sure a law passed that withing this or next year all smokes sold in ky must be of the self extinguishing type. The paper has little bands you can see that will make the cigarette go out much like a cigar already does if its laid down. They shouldnt cost anymore and taste will be the same.
  • by sherry Location: Lexington on Feb 22, 2008 at 02:42 PM
    Joey, Your comment seemed a little cold. I pray that nothing like this EVER happens to you or your family. We will never know what happened. Maybe he was smoking in the room and a spark from his Cigarette landed on the bed and he didn't know it. I could keep on giving different possible ways something like that could happen. Let us not assume or speak ill of the dead. I will keep YOU and the Talbert family in my prayers.
  • by Joey Location: Lex on Feb 22, 2008 at 11:46 AM
    Hate to hear something like this happening but then again, smoking in bed? Come on - we've heard the stories before but some people don't think it will happen to them. Do you think God allows smoking in heaven. My guess is they don't allow it in hell or it wouldn't be called "hell."


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 15861757 -
Gray Television, Inc.