WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

Cigarette Likely Sparked Deadly House Fire

Fire crews from two counties battled freezing temperatures and fierce flames Thursday night, but were unable to save a 66 year old man trapped inside a burning home.

Flames broke out at the home on Newtown Pike in Scott County, just across the Fayette County line, around 9:00pm. Firefighters from both Fayette and Scott Counties rushed to that scene.

Family members of the victim, Arthur Talbert, tell us other family members were able to rescue Talberts sister and mother from inside the home. Edna Jean, 74, and Lydia Talbert, 101, were in the kitchen area when the fire started. But, they say the smoke and flames were too intense to get to Talbert in an upstairs bedroom.

No foul play is suspected. The coroner says it appears Talbert was smoking in bed. He was pronounced dead at the scene. We're told O.L Funeral Home in Georgetown is handling the funeral arrangements.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Gray Television, Inc. - Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 15861757