Shelby County Restaurant Closed After Dozens of Diners are Sickened

SHELBYVILLE, Ky. (AP) - Health officials are investigating complaints that several dozen people became ill after eating at a well-known Shelby County restaurant on Easter Sunday.

About 70 people have contacted health officials complaining of becoming sick after eating at Claudia Sanders Dinner House, regional public health director Renee Blair said Wednesday. The restaurant outside Shelbyville is named for the widow of Kentucky Fried Chicken founder Colonel Harland Sanders.

Louise Riley, the restaurant's general manager, said the business is expecting a preliminary report from the health department Thursday.

"We're hoping we'll be vindicated, so we're waiting for this report," Riley said.

Blair said while officials have been contacted by the family of a man who died Tuesday night, claiming he ate at the restaurant Sunday, there's no conclusive evidence linking the man's death to the restaurant.

The restaurant was closed temporarily by health officials, Blair
said. The restaurant served just over 2,500 people on Easter - one
of its busiest days of the year, she said.

The restaurant received an "A" rating in its last public health inspection earlier this year, according to Blair.

(Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press. All Rights Reserved.)


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Doug Thompson Location: Shelby Co. on Mar 27, 2008 at 01:36 PM
    As of today there have been no confirmed cases of food posioning in any of these people that could have been caused by Claudia Sanders Dinner House or it's food handlers. Last night on TV it was reported that a man died after eating there. That was it! Not that there wasn't any link to his death and Claudia Sanders as stated by the coroner.
  • by Wondering Location: KY on Mar 27, 2008 at 07:19 AM
    Get used to the possibility of food poisoning....Most food handlers aren't required to be tested for TB, etc. You can't be too careful!
  • by Me! Location: Ky on Mar 27, 2008 at 05:43 AM
    I commend the owner of this establishment.She had enough respect for her patrons to close until the reason was found and fixed.She was not greedy like most places and stay open to make more sick.I think when she re-opens everyone should show up and support her. If for no other reason than to show that concern over greed will pay off in the end!!!!!!
  • by Angie Location: Ky on Mar 26, 2008 at 09:46 PM
    You know it's a shame that it's not safe to eat at fast food restaurants or drink your own water or buy hardly any type of meat without wondering if you're gonna get some kind of food poisoning or if they're are drugs in the water or if the meat has been contaminated. It's getting to where it's not safe to eat or drink anything anymore. It's horrible. I see now why people grow thier own food.

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 17038316 - wkyt.com/a?a=17038316
Gray Television, Inc.