Cigarette Blamed For Tower Plaza Fire

The residents of the Tower Plaza in Lexington woke up to smoke and flames Wednesday morning.

The fire alarm went off at around 5:30 A.M. and forced residents to evacuate the building.

Residents of the building tell WKYT that a woman on the 8th floor was responsible . The woman was smoking a cigarette while on an oxygen machine and fell asleep. She was later treated on the scene for smoke inhalation.

The apartment that the fire ignited in has significant damage. The rest of the building is dealing with water damage.

Many Lexington fire crews were called out to the scene, even though it was a small fire because many of the residents are elderly and needed help getting safely out of the building.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Del Location: pine ridge on May 29, 2008 at 04:23 AM
    Of coarse alcohol would never be considered !!
  • by how did it happen Location: lex on May 28, 2008 at 02:28 PM
    How in the world did this happen. What about the new Fire Safe Cigs. Guess they don't work after all.


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 19322479 -
Gray Television, Inc.