Glue Warning For Pet Owners

There's a warning for pet owners. It sounds odd, but local veterinarians say it's an all-too-common problem involving dogs and glue.

A Lexington woman says her pet German Shepherd, "Judah," got into a bottle of "Gorilla Glue."

The dog ate some of the glue and it expanded in his stomach. Surgery was required to remove the cantaloupe-sized mass and save the dog's life.

Vets at Woodford Veterinary Clinic say this is the third case they've seen in six months and it's getting national attention in veterinary journals.

As for "Judah," the dog is recovering and should be back to normal in a couple of days.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by cary Location: danville on Jun 11, 2008 at 05:53 AM
    we have a shar pei that ate gorilla glue and we did not know what happen she was sick for a week we took her to the vet and they did surgery and removed a softball sized mass it was so large it tore her stomach as it expanded, it took almost a month for the glue to fully expand
  • by Wow Location: Richmond on Jun 10, 2008 at 09:14 PM
    @Respects animals Location: USA If you cant figure out that industrial strength glue that claims its stonger that crazy glue isnt something a living thing should ingest then you shouldnt even be on a computer. SHould I warn you that the stove is sometimes hot and not to play with fire as well, how about leaving plastic bags around babies or did your parents actually raise you? Ive a cat thats over 14 and a lizard that is over 13, I guess I must be doing something right huh?
  • by CL Location: Corbin, KY on Jun 10, 2008 at 08:45 PM
    News Flash: DOGS DON'T HAVE THUMBS!!! If you don't leave stuff where they can get to it, they won't! Pets are a responsibility, not a right. They're a privilege. Nowhere in the constitution does it say that we have to have pets. With that said, treat them as such and take care of them like a child!
  • by tiredofWOW Location: ky on Jun 10, 2008 at 06:59 PM
    WOW, your name appears on many of the comments for the news, how about you get a life!!! You are obviously bitter at WKYT, maybe an angry ex-employee? Some of us appreciate the heads-up on the glue, so thanks WKYT! Keep up the good work:)
  • by Respects animals Location: USA on Jun 10, 2008 at 01:19 PM
    ATTENTION: Wow Location: Richmond. Aren't you a compassionate sort of person! My gosh. Some people just have to direct their anger towards animals. This is NEWS. If it can help someone else, then it is worth getting the warning out to the public. I'd pity you, but you are not worth it!! :-)
  • by Darlene Location: KY on Jun 10, 2008 at 09:45 AM
    Some people are just sad cases of human beings. Our pets are as precious to us as our children. Yes people should keep chemicals up but accidents always can happen. I am glad they post the news and if you don't like reading the "NEWS" then get alife and go read your story book. SOme people just love to be sarcastic. Way to go WKYT
  • by RM Location: Lexingon, Ky on Jun 10, 2008 at 08:09 AM
    I had a Doberman who ate a tube of gorilla glue. He was fine, but the carpet where he lay to eat it was a mess, and the fur around his mouth looked kinda funny for a while. And, yes, it was put up out of his reach - the cat knocked it down in the floor,...personally, I think it was premeditated...attempted Doggycide.
  • by C.L. Location: Cincinnati Ohio on Jun 10, 2008 at 06:15 AM
    Where does the blame lie?? Like all chemicals, glues, cleaners, medicine. THEY SHOULD BE KEPT OUT OF REACH OF CHILDREN & PETS, and it is duly noted on the label. Did her dog climb a ladder in her garage and get the glue and opened it with her paw?? I bet it was laying on a counter in reach of the dog or children. This is like being mad a the manufacture of a certain knife that your child got to and cut himself, your mad that the knives are too sharp!!! COME ON BE SERIOUS!! KEEP ALL CHEMICALS, GLUES, SHARP OBJECTS, MEDICINES, HOUSEHOLD CLEANERS AWAY FROM PETS AND CHILDREN AND THINGS LIKE THIS WON'T HAPPEN!! COMMON SENSE
  • by Wow Location: RIchmond on Jun 9, 2008 at 08:36 PM
    Can we even call this news? After all there is a murder and arson to talk about and we get "watch out for glue". Next well get warning fishing string can kill cats or dogs that eat aluminum cans puke blood. I even know a guy that his dog swallowed a tube of crazy glue. No problems so far after about 1yr of it happening is that news?

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 19693414 - wkyt.com/a?a=19693414
Gray Television, Inc.