Fire Officials Warn Of Dangers From Fireworks

It's something many people will be using this week to celebrate the Fourth of July: fireworks.

But state fire officials say if you don't know how to use them properly, you could end up losing your life!

Fire officials say last year alone about 10,000 people reported injuries caused by fireworks. Most of those victims were under the age of five.

Some fireworks that appear to be harmless can actually be very dangerous. For example, sparklers burn at 2000 degrees and can easily burn through clothing.

The State Fire Marshal recommends children be supervised at all times and have water handy to douse the fireworks before you throw them away.

Fire officials want to remind people that anything marked "explosive" is illegal in Kentucky. That includes any fireworks that go up in the air.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Goebel Location: Lexington on Jul 3, 2008 at 06:25 AM
    I think it's very strange that you can't smoke in Common Wealth Stadium but it's AOK to set off millions of polluting fire works. Since most of these fireworks come from COMMUNIST CHINA it's untelling what is mixed in the fireworks.
  • by Rick Location: Georgetown on Jul 2, 2008 at 04:41 AM
    This is a stupid law made so stupid people can't hurt themselves. Even though the fireworks that fly and explode are illegal , there is absolutely nothing to stop anyone from going to Tennessee, Indiana , or Ohio to purchase them legally,once more taking money away from Kentucky's wallet.


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 22768549 -
Gray Television, Inc.