Historic Home Goes Up In Flames

It had been there for decades, but on Friday morning a historic home in Rockcastle County went up in flames in a matter of minutes.

Firefighters were called to the home on Kentucky 1250 near Brodhead just after 5:00 Friday morning.

The woman who lived in the house wasn't at home, and there were no injuries.

The homeowner says the house was built in the 1940's and was made entirely of wood.

“It was a log house that had been refurbished. It was an electrical fire. It was fully involved when we got there,” says Chief Larry Taylor, Brodhead Fire Dept.

Taylor says there was nothing suspicious about the cause.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Lisa Location: somerset on Jan 31, 2009 at 03:17 AM
    First I want to thank the ones that decided to pray for my family at the loss of everything I owned My grandmothers pearls and diff things.. Thank you very much it has been so hard It was almost like a death I was in shock for about 3 days I cannot go by the scene of the fire as of yet..Greta I think I know you and if I do we used to work tog That was very hurtful comments I have always chose not to enduldge in third party gossip it sometimes proves to hurt people we love... Again Thank you all
  • by Peacemaker Location: Lexington on Jul 20, 2008 at 09:04 AM
    My thoughts and prayers are with your sister, Kelly. I'm so sorry for her loss. May she have brighter days ahead. Blessings to you and your family.
  • by KELLY Location: BRODHEAD on Jul 15, 2008 at 02:32 PM
    THE OCCUPANT OF THE HOUSE IS MY SISTER. MY FATHER WORKS FOR AND IS VERY CLOSE FRIENDS WITH THE ACTUAL HOME OWNER. I AM SURE THAT ALL OF THE NOSY PEOPLE OF OUR COMMUNITY WILL BE GLAD TO KNOW THAT THE INVESTIGATOR WAS AT THE HOUSE ALL DAY TODAY AND THE FINAL VERDICT IS IT WAS AN ELECTRICAL FIRE. I HOPE THAT SATISFIES YOUR CURIOUSITY AND FROM NOW ON MAYBE YOU SHOULD GET THE WHOLE STORY BEFORE YOU START MAKING FALSE ACCUSATION ABOUT SOMEONES CHARACTER THAT COULD GET YOU IN TROUBLE YOU KNOW.
  • by Christina Location: Brodhead on Jul 15, 2008 at 02:24 PM
    The fire was deemed to be caused by electrical problems. THE FINAL INSPECTION TODAY CONFIRMED THIS. PEOPLE SHOULD GET THE FACTS STRAIGHT BEFORE THEY SPEAK.
  • by Peacemaker Location: Lexington on Jul 13, 2008 at 01:23 PM
    The site of the fire was my grandparent's home for close to 60 years. Some of my most wonderful childhood memories are from the times that I spent on the farm with our family. I'm heartbroken over this tragedy; therefore, I would deeply appreciate if we could concentrate on facts versus accusations. I don't know who this "somebody" is who indicated that it was a meth fire, but those accusations are slanderous.
  • by Faye on Jul 12, 2008 at 03:34 PM
    I do not think that Greta was referring to the actual owner of the home.. rather the occupant.
  • by READ WHAT IT SAYS AND GET YOUR FACTS RIGHT Location: Brodhead on Jul 12, 2008 at 02:42 PM
    Greta,I am unsure if you can read the report , or hear what was said on the news about the fire, let me define things for you , ELECTRICAL FIRE = Fire caused by faulty electric. How you got a meth lab from the reports , I dont know. You should really think about what you say and post on the internet before you say it. I am sure , since you said you know how long the house has been here, that you know who owns the home. I am also sure that you know they are one of the most upstanding families in the county as the last person stated. Everyone here knows of them. Did you ever stop to think that the person who was renting this home came home to NO HOME, NO CLOTHING , NO PERSONAL ITEMS, she now has NOTHING, that is sad to think that when she came home , she had no home to really come to and there is people like you out here spreading LIES about this person and the owners none the less. You should really not judge people, that is not your place, and you should at least say you are sorry.
  • by Think before you type! Location: Brodhead on Jul 11, 2008 at 08:17 PM
    Greta, the home owner is one of the finest upstanding citizens in Rockcastle Co. You should really look to your source before saying something so damaging to a persons reputation! The Chief of the fire dept. stated it was electrical and I am sure investigators will find the same.This home was within a few feet of others and IF there had been illegal activity I am sure the owner would have promptly taken care of it.Clearly there is some kind of motivation for you to try to tarnish his rep. Get a life and leave others alone.
  • by Fred Location: Lexington on Jul 11, 2008 at 01:51 PM
    Where will you get your junk now?
  • by Greta Location: Neeley on Jul 11, 2008 at 08:46 AM
    Somebody indicated that a meth lab fire may have caused this loss, so sad. It has been here in the community for as long as I can remember.

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 24449779 - wkyt.com/a?a=24449779
Gray Television, Inc.