It's meant to protect people moving into a new home from the aftermath of meth labs.
WYMT’s Angela Sparkman spoke with officials about why a law that went into effect is needed.
Officials say this is needed because innocent people were getting hurt.
They say people were moving in to apartments or homes where meth once was, and got sick.
Police believe this law should stop that.
Prestonsburg Police and Safety Directors say they've seen plenty of rooms after meth is cooked.
“There is probably more waste there than there is product on meth, and it's pretty nasty stuff,” Prestonsburg Public Safety Director, Bryan Hall said.
Health Directors say it wasn't always cleaned-up properly and that leaves the damaging threats hidden, but still there.
Officers say next, people move in and have no idea they're in danger, and suffer.
“I've heard stories of children getting sick after they moved into apartments like that where there hadn't been a correct clean-up, or a clean-up at all. Children get sick, families get sick, it's nasty stuff,” Hall said.
Lawmakers heard the stories too.
“We felt something needed to be done to make people more safe,” Senator Johnny Ray Turner said.
They created a new law to prevent this from happening, and it's officially in effect.
Now property owners have to use a certified contractor to properly clean-up after a meth lab, or they must give in written notice to all future renters or owners, that a meth lab was once on the property.
“It would be terrible to go into a place thinking you had a safe haven to go into to live, and find out later it caused some kind of health problem because you went in there and didn't know about it,” Turner said.
Property owners face jail time and a 25-thousand dollar fine if they don't follow the new law.
Police and Lawmakers hope this will potentially save a life, but also curb meth labs.
The new law also lets police and health departments post notices on buildings saying a meth lab contaminated the site.
People can also face charges if they remove those signs.