A Perry County woman loses everything to a house fire.
Family members of the woman say her home is a complete loss.
Smoke still rises from a home off of Highway 451 in Perry County that caught fire Sunday afternoon. Neighbors say they can't believe the house and the lives of Juanita Feltner and her granddaughters changed in an instant.
Family members say Ms. Feltner was in the kitchen cooking, when she turned her back for one moment and that's when the grease in her frying pan caught on fire.
It's during unfortunate situations like this one, when people like Lillie Baker step in.
“We will make sure that the family has food, clothing and shelter. So our primary purpose right now with our unit is to make sure that the immediate needs of the family is met,” says Baker.
Baker is the director for the Hazard-Perry County Red Cross Unit. The organization is run by volunteers and operates out of the First Presbyterian Church in Hazard. Baker says reaching out to families in need is a top priority for the Red Cross and she knows that first hand.
“When you lose your home it's one of the most terrible things that can happen to an individual because I’ve been through that myself when I was younger so I know how devastating it is to lose everything you have,” says Baker.
She says as soon as possible, the Red Cross jumps at the chance to help change lives.
Baker says the Red Cross unit in Perry County has been in operation for about three years now and is always welcoming new volunteers and donations. If you would like more information you can contact the First Presbyterian Church in Hazard. As for Ms. Feltner and her granddaughters, they are okay and staying with other family members.