Man Loses Apartment in Manchester Fire

By: Matt Barbour Email
By: Matt Barbour Email

When the fire first started, many people worried the man who lost his apartment was still inside. Despite losing everything, he survived.

Robert Day says he still can't believe his eyes when he looks at what used to be his apartment.

“Everything we loved was right there and now it's a pile of wood,” says Day.

Early Sunday morning, flames ripped through Day's apartment.

“All I know is every thing is gone. I mean, what can I say? They say it was an accidental fire so I really don't know. It's hard for me to understand,” says Day.

He had only been living in the apartment for 4 months, had just paid August's rent and says now all he and his two kids have are the clothes on their backs.

“All their clothes, all their pictures. Everything their mother had given them over the years is gone, things you can't replace,” Day says.

“The flame's on top of the roof was about 4 foot high or more.” Day's Uncle, Willie Day, saw the fire and says at first no one knew if Robert was inside. “We didn't have no hope that he was alive. I mean, I'm still in shock,” says Day’s Uncle.

“We were all, everybody was just frightened, afraid of you know, the worst possible scenario,” says Day’s landlord, Penny Robinson.

Even though he made it out alive, Day says it's his family that will get him through this.

“My kids, even though they're hurt to the bone, they're still there for me and I'm there for them. That's all we got is each other now,” says Day.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 26821449 - wkyt.com/a?a=26821449
Gray Television, Inc.