WKYT | Lexington, Kentucky | News

Man Electrocuted On A Utility Poll

By: Amanda Price Email
By: Amanda Price Email

Police say 28 year old Samuel C. Patrick was found on Stamper Branch Road near Soft Shell around four Sunday morning.

The discovery came after several people in that area called the power company. Police say a technician with American Electric Power went to the area after receiving several complaints and that's when police were notified.

Police say at the top of the utility pole, Patrick cut a ground wire which caused the electrocution.
Neighbors say they knew something was wrong late Sunday night when smoke started coming out of their television sets.

Clerance Stamper, who lives nearby says, “I was in the bed last night when the TV blew up there in the bedroom. I didn't have it on or anything. I jumped up and smoke went barreling out of it.”

Tom Mullet, who lives down the street says, “The TV started going on and off, that started it then it sounded like gun. The transformer evidently blew.”

Neighbors say the surge destroyed electronics and some appliances. Stamper says, “Well all of them in here was. All of us lost TV’s the woman up here above me up, here at the head of the holler, she lost her air conditioner.”

Police say Patrick used a tree stand climber to get to the top of the utility pole.

Mullett says he has known Patrick for about five years and can't believe his friend died this way. “It was a total surprise; yeah it was he was a good kid man.”

Now detectives are trying to figure out why. Police have not yet said what Patrick was doing on the utility pole.


Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Copyright © 2002-2014 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 27335609 - wkyt.com/a?a=27335609
Gray Television, Inc.