Fire at Old School Investigated

By: Sherelle Roberts Email
By: Sherelle Roberts Email

Firefighters and Haz-mat crews had a tough task on their hands as they battled a fire in a building filled with explosive chemicals.

The fire happened at the Old Nancy School in Nancy, Kentucky. Authorities believe the fire at the abandoned school sparked due to a grass fire.

The building's gymnasium and cafeteria quickly were the area of concern for fire crews, because in those rooms were barrels of methanol and bleach. Methanol is highly poisonous and flammable. Crews feared if the barrels caught fire, a dangerous chemical explosion would follow.

Thankfully, an explosion was avoided thanks to the quick work of fire crews.

The former school building is owned by a local man. Authorities are now investigating why he had the chemicals in the building.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by joetta davis Location: nancy on Sep 24, 2008 at 09:15 AM
    it was a sad thing to hear about the fire it is a land mark i wish could be fixed up and made useful.thankful nothing happened to anyone working to put it out
  • by Clancy on Sep 24, 2008 at 06:33 AM
    largetst meth lab of its kind. Unreal.

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 29653899 - wkyt.com/a?a=29653899
Gray Television, Inc.