Firefighters and Haz-mat crews had a tough task on their hands as they battled a fire in a building filled with explosive chemicals.
The fire happened at the Old Nancy School in Nancy, Kentucky. Authorities believe the fire at the abandoned school sparked due to a grass fire.
The building's gymnasium and cafeteria quickly were the area of concern for fire crews, because in those rooms were barrels of methanol and bleach. Methanol is highly poisonous and flammable. Crews feared if the barrels caught fire, a dangerous chemical explosion would follow.
Thankfully, an explosion was avoided thanks to the quick work of fire crews.
The former school building is owned by a local man. Authorities are now investigating why he had the chemicals in the building.