Two Women Injured In Apartment Fire

Two women are in the hospital after a fire in their Lexington apartment early Wednesday morning.

It broke out on Camelot Drive, off Wilson Downing.

A mattress caught on fire with one woman sleeping on it. Firefighters say the elderly, bedridden woman may have fell asleep with a lighted cigarette.

She went to the hospital with 2nd degree burns. Her daughter-in-law was also taken to UK Hospital for smoke inhalation.

Firefighters say the damage was limited to the mattress in the bedroom and the family can go back in at any time.

A barking dog in the apartment above the one that caught fire may have kept the situation from turning deadly.

The woman who was burned says the dog's barking woke her up an allowed her to call for help.


You must be logged in to post comments.

Username:
Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by hollie on Sep 25, 2008 at 07:42 AM
    Thank God for that dog! My mom falls asleep smoking and it scares me to death. We don't know what to do about it since she lives alone--but maybe a dog is a good idea. I'm glad the woman will be alright and kudos to the dog! Why are identities not being released?

WKYT

2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 29678619 - wkyt.com/a?a=29678619
Gray Television, Inc.