Many Eligible Kentuckians Have Not Yet Claimed Stimulus Checks

FRANKFORT, Ky. (Oct. 7, 2008) - More than 67,000 eligible Kentuckians may have money coming to them from the Internal Revenue Service, but they must act by Oct. 15, 2008 to claim it.

Last year, Congress passed an economic stimulus package that provided most low and moderate income American families a check for hundreds of dollars.

According to the Center on Budget and Policy Priorities, a total of $20,149,400 remains unclaimed by more than 67,000 Kentucky taxpayers. These thousands of Kentuckians could miss out on their economic stimulus payments if they do not file a 2007 Federal income tax return by the October 15, 2008 deadline.

"With the tough economic realities we are facing, compounded by the pinch we are all feeling at the gas pump, these checks could mean a real boost to your family's budget," said Governor Steve Beshear. "I urge you to file your return if you haven't already, and claim the money that is rightfully yours."

Payment amounts vary by income level, but range from $300 per individual to $1,200 for married couples, plus an additional $300 payment for each qualifying child. This number of eligible Kentucky taxpayers does not include individuals who filed for an extension, but have not yet submitted their return. October 15, 2008 is also the filing deadline for those who received extensions.

"October 15th is the extended deadline if you have not yet filed your taxes. I encourage you to file by that date so that you might claim your stimulus check and avoid tax penalties," said State Treasurer Todd Hollenbach IV.

Many of those who have not yet claimed their stimulus checks are low-income senior citizens, veterans and individuals with disabilities. People in these groups often don't file a tax return if their sole source of income is Social Security or veterans' benefits.

"We have got to get the word out that there is still time to file and claim your check," said Finance and Administration Secretary Jonathan Miller. "If you need help filing, or know of someone who does, contact the IRS right away. Let's make sure Kentuckians get the money that's coming to them."

Those who need help filing their return should call the IRS at 1-800-829-1040.

You must be logged in to post comments.

Password (case sensitive):
Remember Me:

Read Comments

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
  • by Sarah on Oct 7, 2008 at 10:40 AM
    I say give them to Obama and lets win this election and get out of this republican induced recession.
  • by Carrie on Oct 7, 2008 at 09:24 AM
    And McCain and McConnell want you to use it to bail out the major corporations,go figure.
  • by Anonymous on Oct 7, 2008 at 08:39 AM
    If you know who these elderly people are, SEND them a letter or something, they might not have enough knowledge to know to do this, some diabled people don't have the right kind of help and support any way.


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2016 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 30566149 -
Gray Television, Inc.