Dozens Wanted In Child Support Round-Up

By: Michel Mason Email
By: Michel Mason Email

To many they are known as deadbeat parents, and today Perry County officials rounded up mothers and fathers accused of owing thousands of dollars in child support.

Officials set out Wednesday to serve 43 warrants as part of this round-up. They ended up arresting 12. Officials say that group alone owes more than $80,000 in child support.

It was any early start for sheriff's deputies, Hazard and state police as they went door to door looking for parents they say owe their children.

"Parents who are not paying their child support as ordered and do owe more than $1,000 and some of them certainly a whole lot more than that," said Perry County Attorney John Shackelford.

Those cases were piling up. That's when the county attorney, circuit court and law enforcement decided something needed to be done.

"We weren't getting the results any other way and thought we would try it and see if it worked and it appears to have worked," added Shackelford.

Officials say although some warrants weren't served today, it does not mean they will be empty handed for long.

"With the other ones we didn't serve, we did make an attempt and we verified some new addresses of some people who have moved so it turned out pretty good," said Chief Deputy Tony Eversole.

Officials say it's a step they were forced to take.

"They don't pay until you make them. Unfortunately, a lot of times they don't pay until they are in custody," said Shackelford.

Some of them owe their children or the state upwards of $20,000 dollars.

All of those arrested are charged with flagrant non-support which is a felony.

They are now in jail awaiting bond hearings.

Comments are posted from viewers like you and do not always reflect the views of this station.
powered by Disqus


2851 Winchester Rd. Lexington, Ky 40509 859-299-0411 - switchboard 859-299-2727 - newsroom
Register for Email
RSS Feeds
Copyright © 2002-2015 - Designed by Gray Digital Media - Powered by Clickability 38023859 -
Gray Television, Inc.